People of all ages, with various levels of experience can benefit from swimming. Swimming is one of the few sports you can do from a young age and all the way up into your 90’s. Swimming is perfect for your mental health and physical health.
Even though swimming does not involve weights, the resistance against the water provides a significant training benefit. Moving through water puts more external pressure on your limbs than out-of-water training, that pressure is uniformly distributed. It doesn’t collect on one specific area such as your knees, hips or the other places that bear most of the burden when you exercise with gravity (and the weight of the world) sitting on your shoulders. The coolness and buoyancy of water are also appealing to people who are overweight or obese, where load-bearing aerobic exercises like running may be too uncomfortable.
Below are only a few of the many benefits of swimming:
- Swimming works your body without having a harsh impact on your skeletal system thus lowering your risk injury
- It improves your posture, balance, flexibility, and cholesterol
- Strengthens and tones nearly all the muscles in your body
- Eases symptoms of asthma and lowers the risk of diabetes
- Because it’s an aerobic sport, it will improve your heart’s health
- It also increases longevity and helps control appetite
- It can significantly lower your stress levels
- Great for recovery
- Swimming causes your body to release endorphins making you happier
- And it boosts confidence and self-discipline when made a routine
So why not jump in? It’s not too late to gain from the many benefits of swimming. With Aura there are many different ways of getting started:
Adult Swim Lessons – We cater for all levels, ages and abilities. Non-swimmers to tri-athlete! Courses are 8 weeks in length. Enquire today.
Aura Boyne Swim Training Cards – If you just need a bit of guidance be sure to check out our Aura Boyne Swim Training cards. Don’t worry you don’t need to sign up to do the swim ‘this year’ but there is no harm in setting yourself a challenge.
Pay As You Go Swim – Maybe you just want to pop in for a swim. All our swimming pools are opened to the public and you can pay as you go, no commitment or contracts needed! Just check out your local Aura Leisure Centre Timetable.