Pancake Tuesday, it’s a time of year again when you either countdown to diving into some delicious pancakes or debate whether or not your nutritional plan has space for them.
However, fear not, we’ve got you sorted either way with two simple recipes to make the perfect protein pancakes or to go all out and treat yourself with the not so healthy regular ones.
Cheat day or not we’ve got you covered!
So, to kick things off, let’s talk you through our protein pancakes.
- 25 Grams of Your Favourite Whey Protein Powder
- 100ml of Milk
- 1 Large Egg
- 6 Grams of Cinnamon
- 50 Grams of Porridge Oats
- 1.5 Grams of Baking Powder
- Cooking Spray
Step by Step:
- Blend your porridge oats of choice in a blender until they look like flour.
- Add in your whey protein, baking powder, egg, milk and cinnamon to the already blended oats and blend again until it becomes a thick, smooth consistency.
- Here you can add the mixture into a jug and leave overnight (or for a couple of hours) in the fridge or jump straight to the next step.
- Get a non-stick pan, or a pancake pan if you have one, and bring it to a steady heat over a stove.
- Put some of the cooking spray on the pan or add some butter and allow it to melt.
- Once the pan is hot enough add some of your pancake batter. This recipe should make four standard sized pancakes, but you can add as much of the batter as you desire to the pan!
- Allow the batter to heat until you start to see little air bubbles appearing in it. Once this happens you can try flipping your pancake to cook the other side.
- Have a plate ready and some baking paper. When your pancake is the colour you want it to be place it on the plate and begin your cooking steps again.
- When the next pancake is ready put a small piece of baking paper on top of the previous pancake and place the latest one on the pile. The baking paper stops them from sticking to each other.
- After you’ve used all your batter, bring the plate to the table and dig in with your favourite toppings, healthy or not, as long as you’re happy!
Healthy Topping Suggestions:
- Fruits (Blueberries, Raspberries, Strawberries, Banana etc.).
- Low Fat Yogurt.
- Low Fat Ice-Cream.
- 100 Grams of Plain Flour
- 250 Millilitres of Milk
- 2 Eggs
- A pinch of Salt
Step by Step:
- Sieve your flour into a mixing bowl to ensure there are no lumps of flour.
- Add your salt and eggs and start to mix together.
- While mixing, begin to gradually add your milk.
- Continue to mix until the contents create a smooth, thick consistency.
- Place the mixture in a jug and leave in the fridge overnight ideally or for a couple of hours or simply jump to the next step.
- Once you’re ready to cook, heat your non-stick pan on the stove.
- Add a small bit of butter and oil to your pan and bring to a sizzle.
- Pour some of your pancake batter into the centre of your pan and rotate the pan to allow it to spread.
- Once, the mixture begins to show air bubbles flip the pancake over, and allow to cook to the desired colour. When you are ready, place the pancake onto a plate and put a small bit of baking paper on top of it, this stops the next pancake sticking to it when it’s on top, and begin the next pancake with the cooking steps again.
- When you have no mixture left, bring the plate of pancakes to your table and get stuck in with whatever toppings you like!
- Any of the healthy toppings above.
- Maple Syrup.
- Lemon Juice.
- Chocolate Sauce.
Depending on how many you’re feeding you can alter the recipe to accommodate for you.
Also, if you make too many feel free to wrap them in cling-film and put them in the fridge for the next day if needed.
So that’s it! All you need to know to make the perfect protein or regular pancakes! If you’re aiming for a protein-packed breakfast to support weight loss or just looking for a delicious treat, these pancakes can be tailored to your preferences.
We’ve given you the easy guide, now it’s up to you to decide which ones to make and what toppings to put on top of them. Whether it’s any of the ones we suggested or your own personal favourite topping we hope you enjoy and have a great Pancake Tuesday!