Champions Travel are giving you a chance to win 2 Tickets to the Autumn Internationals match
Ireland -v- Australia + 1 Night B&B stay on 19th November 2022.
To be in with a chance to win, simply fill out the form below.
ENTER DRAW HERE
This prize is in Aid of Karen McDermott. To Donate to Karen’s fundraiser click here
Karen’s Story in Her Own Words;
When I was a teenager, I told my mum “, I’m moving as far away as possible for college” but the home bird in me kept me tethered to letterkenny.
When it came to attending college, I went no further than 5 miles away from Loretto convent to the LYIT
In my leaving cert year, I heard of this new leisure centre opening in letterkenny.
I applied for a lifeguard position at Aura.
I was delighted when I landed the job and spent the next 4 years working as a lifeguard and then receptionist. When I heard they were hiring for another receptionist, I immediately thought of my mum and urged her to apply, the thought of working with my mum was so exciting and when she got the job, I was over the moon.
I was offered a job that was related to my degree and left Aura but being a bit of a gym bunny, Aura continued to be a big part of my life. Having only used the treadmill and rowing machine, my mum encouraged me to try the weights and I became hooked.
If you haven’t guessed by now, my mum is Louise McDermott, and a very recognizable face at Aura as she continues to work as membership advisor and daily fellow gym bunny
Colon cancer was not part of the plan when I moved to new york in 2018. Having both grown up in letterkenny, my husband and I set our sights on new york city, drawn by the seemingly unlimited opportunities.
I worked at a coffee shop, a restaurant, and a toy store before covid left both Jason and I without work. Unable to receive unemployment, we decided, maybe recklessly, to open a toy store and for a little while, we were living the dream.
I started to have extreme abdominal pain in may of 2020 and after multiple emergency room visits, I was finally referred at my persistent requests for a colonoscopy in October 2021.
A week before my scheduled colonoscopy, I booked flights to go home for christmas. This was a huge deal having not seen our families since December of 2019, this was the longest time I had not been home.
Unfortunately the colonoscopy could not be completed because of a tumor blocking my entire descending colon, a biopsy was taken and the following day, as I was closing the store, a phonemail from my doctor confirmed the worst.
Two weeks later I had a 7 hour surgery to remove the tumor along with a foot of my colon. Recovery was difficult but swift, I was back on my feet and ready for chemotherapy which I started mid November.
In december I was hospitalized yet again for a blood clot in my lung called a pulmonary embolism and pulmonary infarct where part of my lung was starved of oxygen for too long and died. My recovery from this hospitalization was a lot more difficult due to to length of time I was inpatient but by March I was fighting fit again and set myself the challenge of walking 100 miles in a month.
In April, a week after my final chemo infusion, I had a large bowel obstruction which took my body to the edge of what it could survive. I spent 11 days in hospital and since then I have been trying to build my strength up for the third time in 6 months.
I know my exercise routine is a far cry from what it used to be, but fitness had been the biggest part of my recovery. I still have runners envy when I am on my walks and see joggers wizzing by but I know I can get back there, one step at a time.
Me and my mum always share photos we take on our walks on our group chat and it makes me feel closer to home. The support both my husband and I have received from Ireland and specifically donegal since my cancer diagnosis has been unbelievable. After announcing the devastating news on instagram, we were inundated with messages of love and prayers.
The community I thought I had left when I immigrated, stretched out their arms across the Atlantic at the time when I most needed it. To say that this situation hasn’t made me consider moving back home would be a lie. I am more homesick than ever since being separated from my family for nearly three years but for now, while my cancer care team are here, I feel bound to this country and unfortunately their healthcare system for now.
Terms & Conditions of Prize Draw
- Entry to the “Win 2 Tickets to Ireland v Australia” Prize Draw is gained via completion and submission of an online enquiry form at https://auraleisure.ie/rugby-tickets. Entries must be submitted before the outlined closing date for valid entry.
- Champions Travel and Aural Leisure will be referred to as the “organisers” of the prize draw
- Those who complete and submit an entry form for the “Win 2 Tickets to Ireland v Australia” Prize Draw consent to being contacted by representatives of Champions Travel and Aura Leisure should they be chosen as a winner. Entries are only deemed valid once they have a valid email address and/or phone number.
- You must be over 18 years of age to enter the “Win 2 Tickets to Ireland v Australia” Prize Draw and you must be a resident in either the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland. The Organisers reserve the right to request proof of a prize winner’s identity, age and address. In the event that a prize winner cannot provide us with proof of identity and age reasonably acceptable to us, we may withdraw the prize and select another prize winner.
- The Organisers reserve the right to draw an alternative winner in the event that we believe any winner has contravened these Terms and Conditions.
- No purchase or donation is necessary.
- On a date to be decided following closure of entries to this draw, the Organisers will randomly select a winner from the entry form submission database who will be formally notified by phone and/or email. Winners names will be published at: www.auraleisure.ie and on the social media channels of the Organisers
- Upon notification, winners will be required to attend one of our sites to be formally presented with their prize.
- Any person entering this “Win 2 Tickets to Ireland v Australia” Prize Draw will be deemed to have accepted these terms and conditions and all entries must be strictly in accordance with these terms and conditions. Any entry not in strict accordance with these terms and conditions will be deemed to be invalid and no prizes will be awarded.
- Aura Leisure will retain all entries in accordance with Data Protection law. Only the contact details of the winner will be shared with Champions Travel in order to arrange receipt of the prize.
- Employees of the Aura Holohan Group, Champions Travel, their agents and members of their immediate families are not eligible to enter the “Win 2 Tickets to Ireland v Australia” Prize Draw.
- The “Win 2 Tickets to Ireland v Australia” Prize Draw will be promoted by the organisers across various channels including social media.
- There will be one prize of 2 Tickets to Ireland v Australia plus 1 night B&B on the 19th of November 2022.
- The winner may not transfer the prizes to any other person.
- No alternative prizes are available and there is no cash equivalent.
- The prize must be accepted as offered, and the prize cannot be exchanged in part or in full. There is no alternative to the prize stated, and the prize is not transferable.
- Any tax liability arising from the award of any prize will be the responsibility of the winner of the prize. It is advisable that the winner seeks independent tax advice upon acceptance of the prize. There are certain things for which the Organisers do not accept any liability to you. The Organisers will not be responsible for and will have no liability in connection with acts, omissions and occurrences beyond their reasonable control, including but not limited to: a) any postponement or cancellation of the prize, b)any changes to prizes or the way in which they can be used, c) damage loss, injury suffered by any entrant entering the promotion or as a result of accepting any prize, d) problems with the allotment or dispatch of prizes (such as prizes failing to reach the intended recipient) and, e) any act omission or default of any third party supplier.
- The Organisers will not be liable for any damage, loss or disappointment suffered by any person in entering the free prize draw, including as a result of any entrant winning or not winning any prize. The Organisers accept no responsibility for entries lost, damaged or delayed or due to an error in transit. The Organisers do not accept responsibility for network, computer, hardware or software failure of any kind, which may affect the sending, receipt or processing of your entry.
- In the event that a winner cannot be contacted or cannot take the prize for whatsoever reason the organisers reserve the right to withdraw prize entitlement and award the prize to a reserve redrawn by an independent person. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, the organisers reserve the right to substitute an alternative prize of equivalent or greater value.
- By entering the “Win 2 Tickets to Ireland v Australia” Prize Draw the entrant grants the organisers the right to use and publish his/her name and photograph in such media as the Organisers may choose (including but not limited to the internet) for advertising and promotional purposes without additional consideration. The Organisers may also publish and/or disclose the results of the “Win 2 Tickets to Ireland v Australia” Prize Draw including the winner’s name.
- The Organisers reserve the right to suspend or terminate the “Win 2 Tickets to Ireland v Australia” Prize Draw or amend these terms and conditions at any time for any valid technical or commercial reason, without notification.
- In the event of any dispute regarding the rules, results and all other matters relating to the “Win 2 Tickets to Ireland v Australia” Prize Draw, the decision of the Organisers shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
- To remove yourself from the “Win 2 Tickets to Ireland v Australia” Prize Draw you can do so using the ‘unsubsribe’ link provided on correspondence or by notifying us by email to email@example.com. Once you unsubscribe you may not be able to subscribe again using the e-mail address that you subscribed with.
- The Organisers are not liable for any loss, damage or injury that might occur to the winner resulting from his or her acceptance of the promotion or prize.
- The “Win 2 Tickets to Ireland v Australia” Prize Draw and these terms and conditions are governed by Irish Law.